“We get to treat our patients as individuals rather than a number in a bed. Wouldn’t you love a job where you can make a real difference every day?”
Are you a Senior Registered General Nurse who wants to give high quality end of life care in an organisation which has been rated ‘Outstanding’ by the CQC?
Location: St John’s Hospice, Slyne Road, Lancaster
Hours: 35 hours per week. Shift pattern is a full 24 /7 rotation of shifts over a 365 days a year rota
Pay: *£28,865 – £29,757 per annum depending upon pension scheme. Annual salary shown is based on working 35 hours per week.
Pension: 8% employer funded (some applications may be eligible to re-join a previous NHS pension
Closing Date: Sunday 24th February 2019
An opportunity has arisen on our Inpatient Unit for a Senior Registered General Nurse. Our unit provides symptom management and end of life care for people living with life-shortening illnesses.
Working as part of our multi-disciplinary team, you will provide skilled nursing care for patients with palliative and end of life care needs, and their family carers. You will build on the experience and skills you already have to further develop your knowledge in symptom management and holistic care.
- To have an understanding of the philosophy and ethos behind the care provided at St. John’s Hospice encompassing compassion and empathy in nursing practice.
- To assist in developing a safe, caring and supportive environment for patients and relatives.
- To ensure that the physical, emotional, spiritual and social needs of patients using the service remain paramount at all times.
- To maintain professional and ethical standards and set a high standard of holistic patient care.
- To develop specialist skills in all aspects of palliative care and carry out all relevant forms of care without direct supervision.
- To share in the responsibility within the nursing team for planning, implementing and evaluating total care of the patient and their family.
- To support the Head of Inpatient Services in their role, acting up in rotation with other staff to develop management and teaching skills.
- Cover a 24-hour nursing rota when the need arises and for professional development in the total care of patients requiring palliative care.
Please view our Job Description and Person Specification before applying.
- 27 days holiday + bank holidays
- Life assurance
- High nurse to patient ratio
- Minimum 8% employer contributions to a pension scheme (see below for further details)
- Free parking
- Beautiful working environment
- Reflective Practice Supervision Groups
- Continuing professional development
Please click here to see more benefits available to our employees.
*NHS pension can be continued if you have contributed within the last 12 months. If you are not eligible to join the NHS pension scheme St John’s Hospice provide an 8% group scheme pension.
If you would like to apply for this vacancy please complete our online Application for Employment below.
All correspondence relating to this vacancy including interview invites will be sent by EMAIL only. Please ensure that you check your emails on a regular basis.
Adverts that display a closing date should be treated as a guide. We reserve the right to close the vacancy once we have received sufficient applications. Please submit your application as early as possible to prevent disappointment.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions Oder) 1975 (as amended in 2013). It will be necessary for a submission for a Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) check (formerly known as a CRB) to check for any previous criminal convictions.
Please complete your Application For Employment accurately ensuring you include all criminal convictions including those that would otherwise be considered ‘spent’. A fee of £48.80 is applicable for an Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check or £30.80 for a Standard Disclosure and Barring Service check which will be carried out as part of our pre-employment check process, if applicable.