What is the aim of the group?
The Relaxation & Wellbeing Group has been set up to help you improve your quality of life by: learning more about the benefits of relaxation and ways to promote wellbeing; experiencing different forms of relaxation; developing skills in effective relaxation and developing a regular practice of relaxation techniques for wellbeing.
What does the programme involve?
The programme runs once a week, for six weeks. Each session will be structured and cover a different type of relaxation in order to allow participants to find their own preferred method of practice.
What will each week cover?
• Introduction to the Relaxation & Wellbeing Group and to each other, checking our motivation to participate and current level of stress
• Body awareness – tense and release. The nature of anxiety and benefits of relaxation
• Using breath awareness for relaxation. Positive steps for physical wellbeing
• Sense awareness, relaxation with sound and movement. Managing stressors
• Visualisations as a means of relaxation. Building emotional resilience
• Reflection, evaluation, signposting and thinking about the next step
How do you get referred?
If you think you, or someone you know, would benefit from attending this programme, speak to a health care professional. Patients can speak to their Consultant, GP or Specialist Nurse about this.
Healthcare professionals can refer their patients to St John’s Hospice Day Therapy Services by completing our REFERRAL FORM.