We are not currently recruiting for this programme.
What is Hospice Neighbours?
The Hospice Neighbours scheme is here to provide practical support to people living with life shortening illnesses in their own homes.
Living with any life shortening condition can make many simple household tasks difficult. As a Hospice Neighbour volunteer you will visit clients in their home at pre-arranged time and assist with tasks such as picking up a prescription, walking the dog, or maybe a bit of gardening.
However, much of the focus will be on companionship and taking the time to chat over a cup of tea or assist with hobbies.
How can I help AS A VOLUNTEER?
We are looking for friendly people who have good listening skills and can work independently. This scheme offers you the chance to make a real difference to the quality of life of others within their own community. As a Hospice Neighbour you will be provided with full training and support, whenever you need it.
What you might do as a Hospice Neighbour:
- Provide companionship
- Accompany clients to appointments, shopping or activities
- Help with small, practical tasks around the house or garden
- Signpost clients to other agencies for support
- Provide some respite for a carer
What you WON’T be expected to do as a Hospice Neighbour:
- Personal care
- Any manual handling including heavy household tasks or heavy shopping
- Administer or give any advice regarding medication
- Be involved in any way with finances or legal affairs
- Handle more than £30 of the client’s money if picking up groceries
- Give your personal contact details to the client
- Or any other task that you feel uncomfortable with