The St John’s Hospice Gardens Need You!
St John’s Hospice’s gardens are a real source of pride for the Hospice. Their peaceful tranquillity are perfect for patients and their families to relax in, and the ever-changing views and the wildlife the garden attracts are exciting year-round. Not only that, but fruit and veg grown by our volunteer gardeners helps to feed patients, staff and, when the Courtyard Café is open, the public, delicious and nutritious fresh food. Fruit and veg as well as plants and flowers are also available form the Hospice in exchange for donations.
Volunteer Role: Market Garden Volunteer
Responsible to: Facilities Manager
Report to: Lead Garden Volunteer
Location: Flower and Vegetable garden at rear of Hospice
Purpose of Role: To work as part of a team to produce flowers, vegetables and fruit to be used in the kitchen and for sale in the Hospice
Role Shift times and days: Flexible, to be arranged with the Lead Gardener
What will I be doing?
- Contribute to the planning of propagation of flowers, plants and vegetables for the year ahead
- Seed planting and potting on
- Digging and planting out, watering and feeding
- Ensuring the garden area is tidy and organised
- Contributing ideas and experience to the team
- Developing the extension to the vegetable garden area
- Harvesting vegetables and fruit to be used in the kitchen and for sale
- Preparing flowers, bedding plants and pots for sale and use around the Hospice
What skills and qualities are required?
- Good horticultural knowledge/experience of growing vegetables and plants successfully
- Able to cope with the physical demands of the role, and the uneven terrain of the Hospice Market Garden
- Friendly and a good team player
- Sympathetic to the ethos of St John’s Hospice
What training will be provided?
- St John’s Hospice Volunteer Induction prior to starting
- Discussion and introduction to the Market Garden requirements from Lead Garden Volunteer
- St John’s Hospice Essential Training for Volunteers booklet every 2 years
What does the role not involve?
- No requirement to go into patient areas
Get a taste of what it’s like to be garden volunteer
If you have any questions, please email [email protected] or call 01524 382538 and ask to speak to Nicky Willan
If this sounds like the volunteering role you’re looking for, please fill in the form below!