St Johns Hospice is looking for a Ward Mealtime Assistant. This vacancy is for either lunchtime 11-2:30, alternate Saturday, alternate Sunday, tea time 4:30 – 6pm Monday or Thursday, and for ad hoc shifts to provide cover.
PURPOSE OF ROLE
To assist the ward staff by distributing meals to patient’s bedsides, after meal helping to clear and clean crockery and cutlery.
WHAT ACTIVITIES WILL I BE INVOLVED IN?
- Distributing meals to patient’s bedsides
- Brewing hot drinks at patient’s requests and distributing to patients
- After meals have finished, ensure that all trays are collected
- Load the dishwasher with crockery and cutlery
- Empty dishwasher and put items away
- Clean and tidy work area
WHAT SKILLS AND ABILITIES WILL I NEED?
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Ability to relate to a wide variety of people including patients, their visitors, staff and other volunteers
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and professional boundaries
- Able to keep work area clean and tidy and to complete the tasks required
- Empathy with the values of St. John’s Hospice
WHAT TIME/DAY WOULD I NEED TO VOLUNTEER?
This vacancy is for either lunchtime 11-2:30, alternate Saturday, alternate Sunday, tea time 4:30 – 6pm, alternate Mondays and for ad hoc shifts to provide cover.
WHERE WILL I BE BASED?
In the Ward Kitchen at St John’s Hospice, Slyne Road, Lancaster
WHAT BENEFITS ARE THERE FOR ME?
- Satisfaction of knowing that you have helped the work of the hospice in a necessary role
- Opportunity of meeting people and making new friends
- Contributing to the smooth running of the Hospice in-patient unit
- Gain experience of a palliative care unit