The St John’s Hospice Gardens Need You!
St John’s Hospice’s gardens are a real source of pride for the Hospice. Their peaceful tranquillity are perfect for patients and their families to relax in, and the ever-changing views and the wildlife the garden attracts are exciting year-round. Not only that, but fruit and veg grown by our volunteer gardeners helps to feed patients, staff and, when the Courtyard Café is open, the public, delicious and nutritious fresh food. Fruit and veg as well as plants and flowers are also available form the Hospice in exchange for donations.
Volunteer Role: Grounds Garden Volunteer
Responsible to: Facilities Manager
Location: Hospice Grounds
Purpose of Role: To work as part of a team to maintain the Hospice grounds to a high standard and help in the development of new areas and assist their upkeep
Role Shift times and days: Flexible, to be arranged with Facilities Manager
DBS Requirement: Standard (this is free to volunteers)
What will I be doing?
- Contribute to the planning of the gardens for the year ahead
- Helping with maintenance of the grounds, hedge trimming, weeding, pruning, dead-heading and planting seasonal beds
- Digging and planting out, watering and feeding
- Ensuring the grounds are tidy and organised, including around patient areas
- Contributing ideas to the development of the grounds to create high quality gardens for our patients, visitors and customers
Although volunteers may wish to use their own equipment and gloves, tools and equipment are provided by the Hospice also.
St John’s Hospice Volunteer polo shirt provided.
What skills and qualities are required?
- Good horticultural knowledge and experience gardening
- Able to cope with the physical demands of the role, which included lifting and bending
- Friendly and a good team player
- Sympathetic to the ethos of St John’s Hospice
What training will be provided?
- St John’s Hospice Volunteer Induction prior to starting
- Introduction to the requirements of the role from the Facilities Manager and shadowing other volunteers
- St John’s Hospice Essential Training for Volunteers booklet every 2 years
What does the role not involve?
- Use of electrical equipment, without training
If you have any questions, please email [email protected] or call 01524 382538 and ask to speak to Nicky Willan
If this sounds like the volunteering role you’re looking for, please fill in the form below!