what is FAB group?
The FAB group is for people living with life-shortening conditions and experiencing fatigue, anxiety or breathlessness. The group looks at non-medical ways to cope with the challenges that these symptoms bring.
The group is run by a nurse, physio, complementary therapist and occupational therapist, with each session being led by a combination of these staff according to the content. The group runs for 6 weeks, on the same day and time, for around an hour and a half each week. The sessions are very informal and take place through friendly relaxed discussion. Being in a group with others who have similar difficulties also allows people to share their experiences and helpful ideas, and gain mutual support from each other.
what will be covered?
- Understanding breathlessness, breathing techniques, positioning and general management tips for breathlessness
- Understanding stress, anxiety and panic
- Energy conservation and lifestyle management
- Relaxation and having a good night’s sleep
- Nutrition and exercise
• Revision of the course, signposting and thinking about the next step
Healthcare professionals can refer their patients to St John’s Hospice Day Therapy Services by completing our REFERRAL FORM.