Would you like the opportunity to volunteer within our Hospice Catering Team to provide quality food service to patients, staff, volunteers and to the patrons of the Courtyard Cafe? If so, we’d really like to hear from you.
WHAT WILL I NEED TO DO?
- On arrival report to the Chef in charge for duties to be carried out.
- Wear appropriate protective clothing as provided by the Hospice. Hair must be tied back, and jewellery kept to a minimum, when handling or preparing food. All cuts/grazes must be covered with a blue waterproof dressing.
- No appliance / equipment should be operated or used unless volunteer has been trained and is competent to use it.
- All Health and Hygiene rules must be adhered to.
- Basic Food Hygiene Certificate (Level 2) and Allergen Awareness will be required prior to commencing volunteer role. The Hospice will arrange these qualifications, and more details will be provided at interview.
- Prepare food as directed by the Chef in charge. This could include: Vegetable preparation, sandwiches and salads for lunch and / or tea service for Ward, Day Therapies, or Courtyard Café.
- Maintain a clean work area and clean and put away dishes and utensils.
- Assist staff / volunteers with general cleaning and tidying of kitchen as directed by the Chef in charge.
- Inform the Chef as soon as possible if you are unable to work
- Complete all essential training sessions appropriate to your role, as required.
- Maintain confidentiality at all times, which includes, patients, relatives, staff and volunteers.
- Ensure all Health & Safety rules are adhered to.
- Arrive for your role on time.
- Develop and maintain excellent working relationships with staff and volunteers
USEFUL SKILLS OR INTERESTS
- An interest or experience in cooking
- Physically fit
- Ability to carry out manual handling tasks (training will be given)
- Happy positive attitude
WHAT TIME/DAY WOULD I NEED TO VOLUNTEER?
Any day, with any hours between 10am and 2pm
WHERE WILL I BE BASED?
St John’s Hospice on Slyne Road, Lancaster
WHAT BENEFITS ARE THERE FOR ME?
- Getting to know people
- Developing new skills and experiences
- Using your catering skills for a good cause
- Satisfaction of giving time to a local charity
HOW DO I APPLY?
Either complete the form below, or contact Anne Olde (Volunteer Coordinator) or Dawn Pearson (Head Chef) on 01524 382538.
We look forward to hearing from you soon.