We are looking for volunteer Café Assistants for our Courtyard Café, to assist in the running of the café, and to help to create a welcoming environment for customers. We are currently looking to fill shifts on alternate Monday afternoon or Sunday afternoon and for ad hoc shifts to provide cover.
WHAT ACTIVITIES WILL I BE INVOLVED IN?
- Setting up the café at the beginning of the day, including displaying cakes, and preparing facilities for drinks
- Ensuring that the café is clean and tidy and ready to receive customers
- Take customer orders at the counter, operating the till and credit card machine as necessary
- Serve customers with drinks, cakes and meals as requested
- Replenish stock as required
- Clear away and clean tables, both inside and out in the courtyard area
- Help to clean, dry and put away dishes as required
- Provide excellent customer service at all times
- Ensure a clean and hygienic work area at all times
- At the end of the day ensure the café is left ready for the following day
WHAT SKILLS AND ABILITIES WILL I NEED?
- Excellent customer service skills, able to create a warm and friendly atmosphere
- Ability to work well as part of a team
- Organised, and able to work well under pressure
- Adhere to all health and safety and Food Hygiene rules (training will be provided by St. John’s Hospice)
- Reliable and punctual, able to inform supervisor in advance if not able to do shift
- Happy to operate till and credit card machine with training
- Physically fit to be able to push a trolley and carry a tray
WHAT TIME/DAY WOULD I NEED TO VOLUNTEER?
We are currently looking for help on on alternate Monday afternoon or Sunday afternoon and for ad hoc shifts to provide cover. The cafe opens from 10am to 3pm.
WHERE WILL I BE BASED?
In the Courtyard Cafe at St John’s Hospice on Slyne Road, Lancaster
WHAT BENEFITS ARE THERE FOR ME?
- Getting to know people
- Basic Food Hygiene training provided
- Developing new skills and experiences
- Satisfaction of giving time to a local charity
- Gain experience in a busy, commercial cafe
HOW DO I APPLY?
Either complete our online application form. Once received our Volunteer Coordinator will contact you to arrange a suitable time to meet to discuss the role.