We are looking for volunteer Café Assistants for our Courtyard Café, to assist in the running of the café, and to help to create a welcoming environment for customers. The cafe is open 7 days a week and we are in need of people to help cover all days.
WHAT ACTIVITIES WILL I BE INVOLVED IN?
- Setting up the café at the beginning of the day, including displaying cakes, and preparing facilities for drinks
- Ensuring that the café is clean and tidy and ready to receive customers
- Take customer orders at the counter, operating the till and credit card machine as necessary
- Serve customers with drinks, cakes and meals as requested
- Replenish stock as required
- Clear away and clean tables, both inside and out in the courtyard area
- Help to clean, dry and put away dishes as required
- Provide excellent customer service at all times
- Ensure a clean and hygienic work area at all times
- At the end of the day ensure the café is left ready for the following day
WHAT SKILLS AND ABILITIES WILL I NEED?
- Excellent customer service skills, able to create a warm and friendly atmosphere
- Ability to work well as part of a team
- Organised, and able to work well under pressure
- Adhere to all health and safety and Food Hygiene rules (training will be provided by St. John’s Hospice)
- Reliable and punctual, able to inform supervisor in advance if not able to do shift
- Happy to operate till and credit card machine with training
- Physically fit to be able to push a trolley and carry a tray
WHAT TIME/DAY WOULD I NEED TO VOLUNTEER?
We are currently looking for weekend and relief volunteer cover. Shifts are available morning or afternoon. The cafe opens from 10am to 3pm.
WHERE WILL I BE BASED?
In the Courtyard Cafe at St John’s Hospice on Slyne Road, Lancaster
WHAT BENEFITS ARE THERE FOR ME?
- Getting to know people
- Basic Food Hygiene training provided
- Developing new skills and experiences
- Satisfaction of giving time to a local charity
- Gain experience in a busy, commercial cafe
HOW DO I APPLY?
Either complete our online application form. Once received our Volunteer Coordinator will contact you to arrange a suitable time to meet to discuss the role.